Table of Contents
- Why Consumers Should Switch to IPTV/OTT
- 5 Reasons Why More Consumers Are Using IPTV Streaming Services
- Advantages and Disadvantages of IPTV for Business
- Ready to Make the Switch to IPTV/OTT?
Not everyone is sold on IPTV…yet. A lot of people feel that watching shows and movies on their traditional terrestrial or cable television is good enough for what they need. Once people experience IPTV, though, there are so many advantages that consumers are unlikely to return to traditional media delivery methods. So what are the big advantages for consumers when it comes to internet protocol television? Here are five of them that content creators and consumers should both know about.
But first, let’s go over what IPTV is and how it works.
Internet Protocol Television is the next stage of TV evolution. IPTV technology delivers videos and TV programs to a user through the Internet instead of cable or satellite technique.
How does IPTV work? To stream content live or on-demand, IPTV utilizes the infrastructure of an ISP (Internet Service Provider), while consumers need an Internet connection and a device to watch content.
IPTV can be used for live streaming and providing videos on-demand (VOD).
- Live TV — IPTV with a live feature offers multicast capabilities. Broadcasting happens simultaneously with the event recording, and multiple people can watch it. It is a way to build closer relationships with an audience and communicate with them in real-time.
- Video-On-Demand (VOD) — IPTV with on-demand features is similar to a library where people choose what they want to watch whenever they want.
5 Reasons Why More Consumers Are Using IPTV Streaming Services
Here are five benefits of IPTV that content creators and consumers should both know about:
1. Content is available when you want it.
One of the biggest advantages or benefits of IPTV over cable is that you can access content when you want to watch it. You aren’t tied to a television schedule or have to wait for a new episode to air on a particular night of the week.
With IPTV, most media is on-demand (you’ll have access to live television, as well) so you can start the next episode of your favorite show when you are ready for it, whether that’s with your morning coffee or late at night after you’ve been out on the town. It’s ready when you are, making it more convenient than ever.
2. You can watch content in a variety of ways.
It used to be you could only consume television TV shows on your television. That’s no longer the case. Media can be streamed on your television along with your computer, laptop, tablet, smartphone, and a multitude of other devices.
So not only is it more convenient because you can start your shows whenever you want, you can watch videos virtually wherever you want as well. Catch up on the latest episode on the train into work or watch the latest blockbuster while waiting for your appointment at the dentist.
3. More media entertainment options.
IPTV broadcast programming is no longer dependent on what the providers stream right now. One of the beloved IPTV options for viewers is that they become masters of their media programming, pulling in content from live television, on-demand movies, catch-up television episodes, radio, podcasts, apps, and websites. It’s easy to customize programming to your needs and interests for a media experience that’s tailored to you and only you.
4. Many IPTV systems don’t require long, expensive contracts.
Cable companies used to be able to force you into their long, expensive contracts because they had the shows that you wanted to watch. If you didn’t sign for the contract, you ended up with whatever channels you could get over-the-air on your antenna for free. That usually led to missing out on the latest and greatest shows.
But with IPTV, you can often get the shows that you want for less expense and without signing long-term contracts. Some systems allow you to pay for the particular channels that you want or to purchase shows or movies on an as-wished basis. You may even find monthly payment options that give you full access without the long contracts, so you can cancel when it’s convenient. That means media is more customizable and provides higher quality without the higher price tag.
5. Global entertainment at the touch of a button.
Internet protocol television allows you to bring media from around the world into your home. You can enjoy television from the BBC even though you live in the United States or the United Arab Emirates. Or maybe you want to catch the latest must-see-TV from the States even though you live in Germany or Brazil.
Wherever you are and whatever you want to watch, IPTV has opened up global entertainment options. And thanks to CDNs that gap the bridge between the origin server and the end-user, content isn’t slowed down no matter where you are and what you want to watch.
Advantages and Disadvantages of IPTV for Business
Let’s observe the main pros and cons of IPTV streaming services.
Advantages are the following:
- Monetization is one of the perks of a streaming service. IPTV platform allows you to receive revenue for the videos you create. You can offer a monthly subscription or a pay-per-view model for your audience, which means that people will pay only for a video they want to watch. All under-the-hood IPTV infrastructure allows a business to reach new audiences across the world. New markets are followed by increased revenue.
- Multi-platform capabilities of IPTV services provide a better user experience. Consumers can access your platform wherever they want with any device they have around.
- When you become an IPTV streaming service provider, you need to have an IPTV Middleware. Not only does it help manage content and subscribers, but also offers analytics features. They can be used to enhance the service and understand an audience’s preferences deeper.
Business owners need to assess risks before starting a new service. Below is the list of disadvantages of IPTV platforms:
- If an internet connection is slow, a user will experience latencies while watching. It can influence the user experience – consumers might refuse to use your service. You can solve the problem by implementing CDN.
- Due to a slow internet connection, there might be synchronization issues. For instance, a user watches a video with subtitles. Synchronization issues cause the subtitles to be ahead of the video or behind. The problem also impacts the user experience.
- If an IPTV is transmitted to a TV set with the help of a set-top box, it will be impossible to stream videos outside of the house.
According to our assessments, the IPTV pros are way more profitable than possible cons.
Ready to Make the Switch to IPTV/OTT?
Internet protocol television is less expensive and offers more options and customization for the consumer. If you haven’t tried IPTV, it’s time to try it and experience its superiority over traditional television. Start by finding a reputable IPTV service with a high-quality, set-top box, IPTV software, and a strong content delivery network for the best quality at the highest speeds. We recommend Setplex. It’s a complete A-to-Z solution for bringing internet television into your home. Setplex works around the globe: Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, South America, and North America. Learn more on our website.
Interested in our IPTV and OTT services?
Learn more about Setplex